Sunday 3 November 2013

Welcome to Inuvik


I have come to Inuvik, NT, Canada for my rural family medicine rotation, one of two approximately 4-month-long rural placements I will do during my second year of Family Medicine residency. This blog is meant to be: 1) a place where I can sort through thoughts and ideas in writing, because I like writing and never do it anymore; as well as 2) an account of my experiences as a means of communication with family and friends, because I also like my family and friends, and you are all so very far away. We will also be sharing some photos, courtesy of our baby the Nikon D3100. If anyone else stumbles across this and you are interested in remote medicine, Canadian health & social policy, or life in the north, read on. I hope this is at least mildly entertaining. 

Disclosure: I usually hate the idea of blogs. And I’m not sure why I’ve decided to keep one now, dipping my toe in the egotistical waters, daring to believe I have something interesting enough to say for anyone other than my mom to want to read. Mom, I know you’re reading this. Maybe it’s the dark that made me do it (although it’s not even really that dark here yet).  In any case, here we go. Welcome to life in the north. Welcome to Inuvik!
 This is the polar bear that greets visitors at the Inuvik airport


Disclaimer: While I may mention medical scenarios, names and identifying information will be omitted or altered.  Anything written here is not to be used as authoritative medical information or advice. The opinions represented are solely my own and do not represent the views of the hospital, university or any other organization I am affiliated with.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested too! I've always been intrigued by northern health care and the scope of practice nurses/GPs have there. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures! Blog on! hahaha

    ReplyDelete